Monday, December 8, 2014

A Birthday Letter to My Twins


My Dear Wesley and Taylor:

Tomorrow you turn 21.  A very happy birthday to you both. 



21? I must have blinked somewhere along the way – and now can say unequivocally that we have been through so much together. We have a history spanning decades now, and this makes my head spin. How about you two? Does it trip you out to be full-on adults now?

You have both proven to be such blessings – and it’s impossible to think about my life without you in it.

I am a twin and you are twins. This in itself is amazing. We are part of a club, and are all too aware of what the bond means. You have taught me things only you could teach me, and without even realizing it perhaps. How to be a father – your dad. About patience, about joy – the thrill of seeing you grow and mature. The precious memories of your beyond-cute moments and milestones.



And now you are embarking on adulthood. I am sure I fell short in so many ways, broke promises and let you down. For this I am truly sorry.

But from Day One I have loved you. And you know this. Forever and Always. I am so very proud of you two, and eternally grateful that you decided to look down from heaven and say, “We’ll take that one. He needs help."

Happy birthday, my loves.


No comments: